To pray for and with artists—and those who appreciate the arts—so as to advance the Culture of Life.
Our vision is of a culture that reveres beauty both as God’s gift to humanity as well as a prayerful response to Him for His love for us—a culture that appreciates the presence of God in all of creation as well as in the creative process.
So as to advance the Culture of Life, through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and under the patronage of Our Lady of Lourdes, we will:
- Recite the Stabat Mater Prayer for Artists every day.
- Offer Masses, Rosaries, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, the SMPA Beauty Chaplet, or simply the name of Jesus, for artists.
- Facilitate connections among artists and arts supporters by every means possible.
The Long-Term Goals
- Seek to strengthen the bond between the world of art and the world of faith, between artists and arts supporters, by developing an online community of Catholic religious and laymen committed to praying for artists. We will accept prayer requests and facilitate connections among artists and between artists and arts supporters, by personal contact, phone, and e-mail correspondence, or through the SMPA Web site,www.stabatmater.org.
- Encourage parish members to form small prayer/study groups that explore the 2,000-year artistic heritage of the Roman Catholic Church, emphasizing the essential themes of Christianity as evidenced through the arts.
- Build a chapel and develop work and retreat spaces as we are able. A rural educational retreat would give sacred artists a place to work and learn, while providing spiritual renewal. If resources allow, a desert place of silence and solitude could also deepen artist visitors’ sense of the sacred.